Whir \Whir\, v. t. [See Whir to whiz.] To hurry a long with a whizzing sound. [R.] [1913 Webster] This world to me is like a lasting storm, Whirring me from my friends. --Shak. [1913 Webster]
Whir \Whir\, n. A buzzing or whizzing sound produced by rapid or whirling motion; as, the whir of a partridge; the whir of a spinning wheel. [1913 Webster]
Word Netwhir n : sound of something in rapid motion; "whir of a bird's wings"; "the whir of the propellers" [syn: whirr, whirring, birr] v : make a soft swishing sound; "the motor whirred"; "the car engine purred" [syn: whizz, whiz, whirr, birr, purr] [also: whirring, whirred]
Moby Thesaurusangular momentum, angular motion, angular velocity, axial motion, birr, bombilate, bombinate, boom, bowling, bum, burr, buzz, centrifugation, circulation, circumgyration, circumrotation, drone, full circle, gyration, hum, pivoting, purr, reeling, revolution, roll, rolling, rotation, rotational motion, spin, spinning, swinging, swirling, swiveling, thrum, trolling, trundling, turbination, turning, volutation, volution, wheeling, whirling, whiz
- alternative spelling of whirr
Pisces Iscariot is a compilation album of B-sides, demos, and outtakes released in 1994 by The Smashing Pumpkins through Virgin Records. Reaching #4 in the U.S. upon its 1994 release, Pisces Iscariot - as of May 2005 - has been certified platinum.
The covers for the CD, LP and cassette issues were each released with unique covers. The green, blurred cover of the CD release has caused ongoing speculation amongst fans of who the photograph is of. Courtney Love insists that it is her with a cherry in her mouth, but fans have speculated that is James Iha, or Billy Corgan's then-wife Chris Fabian, or Corgan himself.
The U.S. vinyl release was pressed on amber vinyl, and the first 2000 copies included a bonus 7" single with "Not Worth Asking" from the original "I Am One" 7", backed with "Honeyspider II". The UK LP has identical artwork to its U.S. counterpart, although the printing is much lighter and the inner sleeve is a heavier stock.
- "Soothe" (B-side of "Disarm") – 2:36
- "Frail and Bedazzled" (Siamese Dream outtake) – 3:17
- "Plume" (B-side of "I Am One" 1992 single release) – 3:37
- "Whir" (Siamese Dream outtake) – 4:10
- "Blew Away" (B-side of "Disarm") – 3:32
- "Pissant" (previously released as "Hikari Express" on Siamese Dream Japanese release) – 2:31
- "Hello Kitty Kat" (B-side of "Today") – 4:32
- "Obscured" (Gish outtake, B-side of "Today") – 5:22
- "Landslide" (Fleetwood Mac cover, B-side of "Disarm") – 3:10
- "Starla" (B-side of "I Am One" 1992 single release) – 11:01
- "Blue" (released on Lull EP) – 3:19
- "Girl Named Sandoz" (The Animals cover, released on Peel Session EP) – 3:34
- "La Dolly Vita" (B-side of "Tristessa") – 4:16
- "Spaced" (Siamese Dream outtake) – 2:24
"Landslide" is a cover of the song written by Stevie Nicks and originally recorded on Fleetwood Mac.
"Girl Named Sandoz" is a reference to Sandoz Laboratories, where LSD was invented. It was originally performed by The Animals. This cover was performed as part of their Peel Sessions.
All other songs written by Billy Corgan except "Blew Away" (James Iha) and "Plume" (Corgan/Iha).
Bonus singleA limited 2,000 pressing edition of Pisces Iscariot included a free 7" single.
- "Not Worth Asking" (B-side of I Am One 1989 7")
- "Honey Spider II" (from the Reel Time Sessions, originally released on the Moon Demo Tape)
- Jimmy Chamberlin – drums
- Billy Corgan – vocals, guitar, producer, photography, packaging
- James Iha – guitar, vocals, producer
- D'arcy Wretzky – bass
- Kerry Brown – producer, drums on "Blew Away"
- Dale Griffin – producer
- Butch Vig – producer
- Ted de Bono – producer
- Rachel Gutek – design assistant
- Michael Meister – photography, packaging
whir in Czech: Pisces Iscariot
whir in Danish: Pisces Iscariot
whir in Spanish: Pisces Iscariot
whir in French: Pisces Iscariot
whir in Galician: Pisces Iscariot
whir in Italian: Pisces Iscariot
whir in Hungarian: Pisces Iscariot
whir in Polish: Pisces Iscariot
whir in Swedish: Pisces Iscariot